Most public libraries offer a wide variety of children’s books and magazines, with many in Spanish and other languages. In addition to printed materials, libraries often lend audiotapes and videocassettes of childrens’ books and movies, and more libraries are making computers available to the public. Many libraries also sponsor special programs, including children’s story hours, summer reading programs, and 中国福利彩票下载安装αppwork help. If you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child has special needs, be sure to ask about services the library offers for the blind, the deaf, and those who are gifted or need remedial help. Many libraries have specially trained librarians for children. Feel free to ask them for help.
Here are some things you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can do to introduce you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child to the library:
- Include children–even toddlers–in trips to the library, and go often.
- As soon as you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can, help you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child get a library card.
- Borrow recordings of children’s stories and songs, cassette tapes, compact discs, videotapes, even puppets and educational toys.
- Find out if you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr library has computers and how you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children can use them to learn or upgrade skills.
- Encourage you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children to use the library to find information for their 中国福利彩票下载安装αppwork.
- Encourage you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children to ask for help from you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp and the librarian in finding books and materials.
- Work with the librarian to teach older children how to find things in the library on their own.
- Teach you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children how to take care of themselves in public places, especially if they use the library alone. Stress common sense guidelines for behavior in the library.
Become a Member
for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppng children
- Sign up for a library card you中国福利彩票下载安装αpprself, and check out books to learn stories, songs, rhymes, and fingerplays to use at 中国福利彩票下载安装αpp to stimulate and encourage you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child’s development.
- Get a library card or you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child as soon as possible. (Some libraries will issue a card as soon as a child can write his or her name.)
- Encourage you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child to check out books. This can encourage responsibility, too.
- Take you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child to the library for special programs.
Get Into the Act
for elementary school children
- Get you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child into reading programs at the library. Many children earn certificates or other awards for reading books through special library programs.
- Visit you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children’s school library, meet the librarian, and see what it has to offer. Help out with any book fairs the school sponsors. You’ll learn a lot about children’s literature that way.
- Enroll you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr child in computer courses the library may offer.
for more advanced students
- Encourage you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children to use the library for schoolwork. Help them determine if the library has the resources they need or if they need to check other information sources.
- Give you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children encouragement, advice, and a ride if they need it, but resist the temptation to take over an assignment. Let you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr children be responsible for researching and writing reports.
- Check out the special services you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr library offers for helping students with school assignments, such as 中国福利彩票下载安装αppwork hotlines and term paper clinics.
- Build up you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr personal library by getting books for 50 cents or $1.00 at yard sales.
Information was based on . For more information, please contact the , 555 New Jersey Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20208, telephone 1-800-424-1616. Other materials from the –for families, schools, employers, and community groups–can be obtained by calling 1-800-USA-LEARN.