Teaching is one of the most important professions in today’s society. As a teacher, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp will shape the minds of others and encourage them to think independently. To become a good teacher, it’s important to be organized. Create lesson plans, objectives, activities, and assessment plans well before each class day. Get you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students interested in learning by fostering a positive, supportive, yet challenging classroom environment. Seek out other teachers for assistance, too.
Developing a Good Classroom Environment
1.1 Create a daily objective for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students. This is you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr way of providing a roadmap for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students, It shows them that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp’ve put thought into the day’s work and you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp know where it is heading. It’s best if the objectives are clear, brief, and realistic. As each objective is completed, remind you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students of what they’ve accomplished together.
- For example, in a high school literature class, an objective might be to complete a close reading of a particular poem by the end of the period.
- Some teachers find it helpful to post that day’s objectives on the board.
- It’s okay if not every objective is met every day. In some cases it’s better to follow the flow of a particular conversation, instead of railroading back to the original subject matter.
1.2 Listen to you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students. Ask them open-ended questions after they’ve made a statement. Encourage them to ask you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp questions as well. Show that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp are listening to them by nodding you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr head or gesturing for them to continue. Give them eye contact while they are speaking and try you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr best not to interrupt, unless you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp must redirect the conversation.
- Being an active listener shows you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp respect their voice in the classroom. They will be more likely to give you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp respect as a teacher in return.
- It’s also a good idea to model for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students how to respectfully listen to someone while disagreeing with them. You might say, “I’m not sure I agree with what you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp are saying, can you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp tell me more? Or, does anyone else want to jump in?”
1.3 Keep students on task. Set time limits for classroom exercises or activities. In discussions, use you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr responses to their remarks as a classroom management tool. For example, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might say, “I really like what you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp are saying. How do you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp think it connects with objective number five?”
1.4 Push you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students to succeed. Try to create an environment in which you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students will be constantly intellectually challenged. Let them know that it is okay to fail on occasion. You want to strike a balance between setting too high of goals for them and being a push-over. Use you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students’ progress to guide you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr way. They should be steadily improving, but not without considerable effort.
- For example, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might give a short, advanced-level reading assignment to high school students and ask them to use a dictionary to look up unfamiliar words. If used sparingly, this is a great way to challenge students to expand their vocabulary.
2. Dealing with Classroom Challenges
2.1 Discipline in a prompt and thoughtful way. Make the rules for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom and each exercise very clear and consistent. If a student breaks a rule, handle it immediately in the classroom before moving forward. However, once you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp’ve made a disciplinary action, don’t dwell on it or you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp could create additional problems. Also, make sure that any consequences that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp assign match the level of the offense committed.
- For example, if a student accidentally disrupts a designated “quiet period” this can generally be corrected with a simple verbal warning for a first offense.
- You can also ask the student to stay after class and speak with you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp. This is one way to issue a consequence without disrupting you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom.
2.2 Assign leadership roles to difficult students. Some students create problems in a classroom due to sheer boredom or feeling disconnected with the subject or their teacher. Start with giving a challenging student small, personal tasks to complete. Then, over time, give them more difficult and public responsibilities.
- For example, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might ask a student to serve as a time-keeper for an in-class exercise.
- Be aware that this is an option that won’t work for every challenging student. If they don’t do well at the simple tasks, don’t give them more advanced ones.
2.3 Express a personal interest in all students. If you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp show you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp enjoy their company and value their opinions, then they are far less likely to exhibit challenging classroom behaviors. Make a point of asking you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students about their daily lives and personal interests. While staying professional, tell you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students information about you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp in return.
- For example, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might talk with you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students about where they are going for an upcoming break.
2.4 Stay calm when addressing argumentative students. It’s really easy to lose you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr cool when faced with a challenging or critical student. Instead, take a deep breath and try to look at their perspective. Ask them to explain their position in further detail. Encourage other students to enter into the discussion.
2.5 Give quiet students many avenues of participation. There are many possible reasons why a student might remain silent in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom. Encourage them to learn by creating a safe environment for all opinions. Offer a variety of assignment options, including journal submissions or email logs. Avoid putting a spotlight on quiet students, unless that fits you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr overall teaching style.
2.6 Offer assistance to struggling students. Do you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr best to identify students who are struggling academically early on. Consider offering in-class resources, such as pair exercises. Or, direct them to external resources, such as subject tutoring.
3. Maintaining the Right Mindset
3.1 Be a professional at all times. Dress appropriately for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr teaching environment. Keep you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr teaching materials and classroom organized. Spend time preparing for each day of teaching. Show respect when talking with you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr colleagues and administrators. Think about what it means to be a professional teacher and try to live up to that model.
- It sometimes helps to think about one of you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr past teachers who you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp would describe as a true professional. Try to think about how you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp could in some ways mimic their behaviors in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr own classroom and career.
3.2 Laugh and keep you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr sense of humor. Try to teach you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students that learning doesn’t have to be serious 24/7. If you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp do something that is funny or goofy, then laugh at you中国福利彩票下载安装αpprself. Being a bit self-deprecating will make you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students more comfortable with you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp. If you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp incorporate humor or jokes into you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr lesson plans, then you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students will likely remember the material better as well.
3.3 Repeat positive mantras on bad days. Not every teaching day will go perfectly and some might even fall into the category of disaster. However, it’s important to stay positive or you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students will pick up and reflect you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr negative energy. Take a moment to tell you中国福利彩票下载安装αpprself, “It’s going to be okay,” or, “Tomorrow is a new day.” Put a smile on you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr face and keep going.
- You might even say out loud, “I love teaching because…” and list off a few reasons. For example, think about a moment when you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp saw real improvement in a student’s life due to you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr efforts.
- If it’s been a bad day for the students, too, then you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might even say that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp want to do a “re-set.” Tell them that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp want to formally start the day over from that point forward.
3.4 Create good relationships with the parents of students. Communication is key when working with parents. Keep in touch with them via in-person conferences as well as written behavioral reports. Let them know that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp are interested in their ideas and perspectives on teaching. You can also solicit their help for events and celebrations in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom.
- Make contact with the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) at you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr school and ask what you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can do to help.
4. Improving as a Teacher
4.1 Seek out teaching mentors. Look for other teachers at you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr school who are willing to discuss teaching with you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp or who will even let you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp sit in on their classes. If they are interested, invite them to you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom as well. After they’ve seen you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp teach, ask them to provide you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp with constructive criticism. See if they have suggestions for how you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can be an even better teacher.
- For example, they might suggest that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp state you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom objectives more clearly. Then, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can talk about how you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp’d go about doing this.
- It’s also a good idea to exchange teaching materials with you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr mentors and colleagues. Show them the format that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp use for quizzes or tests and ask to see their versions. You don’t have to teach the same subject to benefit from talking about teaching.
- You can also find mentors via teaching organizations or even at conferences. Stay in touch with the people that you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp meet and seek out their advice when you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp need it.
4.2 Take time to reflect. At the end of each semester or teaching period, sit down and evaluate what worked well and what didn’t. Be honest with you中国福利彩票下载安装αpprself and realistically assess what is in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr power to change before teaching that particular class again. If you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp’re preparing for a certain course that always causes problems, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might consider reaching out to you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr mentor for advice.
- For example, you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp might find that you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students react better to projects using media. If that’s the case, think about how you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp can incorporate more media-driven activities in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr classroom.
4.3 Take advantage of professional development opportunities. Go to teaching conferences in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr area and meet other education professionals. Write articles about teaching and publish them in local magazines or newspapers. Serve as a grader for exams in you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr area, such as the Advanced Placements tests. Keep learning and you中国福利彩票下载安装αpp’ll be a model for you中国福利彩票下载安装αppr students, too.